Apple Honey Muffins from Tomato Head
Mahasti Vafaie, co-owner of The Tomato Head and Flour Head Bakery let us in on a big secret – an inside recipe to her fall-inspired muffins. With plenty of apples and walnuts, sweetened with honey, and topped with streusel, you’ll be going back for seconds, thirds, maybe fourths. We won't judge!
4 tbsp Brown Sugar
4 tbsp All Purpose Flour
2 tbsp Unsalted Butter, cut into small pieces
Rub the brown sugar and flour into the butter until crumbly – do not over mix. Set aside.
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 tbsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
1 Large Egg
⅓ cup Honey
¾ cup Whole Milk
¼ cup Vegetable Oil
1 ½ cups Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and chopped
½ cup Walnuts, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners or grease the tin well.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another medium bowl whisk together egg, honey, milk, and oil.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just mixed. You should still see some white bits of flour.
- Gently fold in apples and walnuts. Scoop the batter evenly between the wells of the tin.
- Top each muffin with the streusel topping. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool and serve.
Batter can be refrigerated for 1-2 days and baked as needed.
Yours don’t look this good?
The Tomato Head will offer tubs of Apple Honey Muffin Batter on September 18. Order here before Sept 17. And for the non-bakers among us, you can always find muffins, cupcakes, and cookies ready-to-go at Tomato Head!