Apple Honey Muffins from Tomato Head
Mahasti Vafaie, co-owner of The Tomato Head and Flour Head Bakery let us in on a big secret – an inside recipe to her fall-inspired muffins. With plenty of apples and walnuts, sweetened with honey, and topped with streusel, you’ll be going back for seconds, thirds, maybe fourths. We won't judge!
4 tbsp Brown Sugar
4 tbsp All Purpose Flour
2 tbsp Unsalted Butter, cut into small pieces
Rub the brown sugar and flour into the butter until crumbly – do not over mix. Set aside.
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 tbsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
1 Large Egg
⅓ cup Honey
¾ cup Whole Milk
¼ cup Vegetable Oil
1 ½ cups Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and chopped
½ cup Walnuts, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners or grease the tin well.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another medium bowl whisk together egg, honey, milk, and oil.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just mixed. You should still see some white bits of flour.
- Gently fold in apples and walnuts. Scoop the batter evenly between the wells of the tin.
- Top each muffin with the streusel topping. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool and serve.
Batter can be refrigerated for 1-2 days and baked as needed.
Yours don’t look this good?
For the non-bakers among us, you can always find muffins, cupcakes, and cookies ready-to-go at Tomato Head!